Rhythm Sticks

I remember as a child, singing “Let me feel your rhythm stick”......"Feel it slow or feel it quick!" obviously confused over the lyrics. You would have thought the title itself would have been a big enough clue!

I was probably 6 or 7 at the time, and remember my eldest brothers face(aged around 12-13) look all funny…like he really wanted to tell me what sexual innuendo could come from what I had just said, and scar me as a child…So my brother and mum kinda look at each other… then my mum says… no its “Hit me with your…”, but I thought… why is she soooo concerned about me getting this lyric right…Normally she wouldn’t care less.

Maybe five years later it clicked…. And know whenever I hear that hit by Ian Dury and the Blockheads, it makes me want to heave…. As if I'm almost picturing me as a 6 year old singing it…

That song was in the charts in the first week on 1979… I was born in 81, I'm pretty sure I'm not making this memory up, god knows I try to forget it… but it just doesn’t seem to add up… unless it was re-released or something… We didn’t have MTV so doubt I watched it on that.

2 comments:

similarly i always picture you getting cockslapped by ian durie when i hear the song

Almost like an Oliver Twist moment..."Please Sir can I have some more!!!!"

Post a Comment